To change your company name you first need to reserve a new company name. You also need to follow the procedures set out in your constitution, if you have one, for changing your company's name.
Before you begin
To reserve and change a company name you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- authority to act for your company.
1. Reserve a new company name
The first step in changing your company name is to reserve a new name. The general process is the same as when you reserve a name for a new company. The fee to do this is $10 (plus GST).
Once you've received email confirmation that your new name has been reserved you can move on to the next step.
2. Change company name
To change your company name, log in to your online services account, search for the existing company by entering a company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN). and follow these steps.
- Choose Change company name.
- Select the option that applies to your company.
- Use an already reserved name — from the list, choose the name you want to use, even if there's only 1 name displayed.
- Reserve a new company name — if you haven't yet reserved a name to use, you can reserve one now.
- Swap names with another company.
Swapping company names
You can swap names with another company, but you must be a director of, or have authority for, the company you want to swap names with.
If your company isn't registered in NZ
There are 3 steps to changing the name of an overseas company online. If your company is registered in Australia, you need to change the name there first.