Before you register a company with the Companies Office, you need to reserve a name on the New Zealand Companies Register. If you've already reserved a name, but another person or organisation is completing the process of incorporating your company, you can transfer your name reservation to them. You can do this free of charge.
Time limit on name reservations
Once your company name reservation is approved, you have 20 working days to incorporate your company or change the name before your reservation expires. That 20-day period applies even if you transfer the name reservation to someone else.
If you plan to transfer a name reservation, and the reservation period is due to expire, consider requesting a time extension before you transfer the name reservation.
Who can authorise a transfer
You can only authorise a transfer if:
- you reserved the company name, or
- you're a member of the organisation that reserved it.
Who you transfer your name reservation to
Your company name reservation must be transferred to the person or organisation who is going to complete the incorporation process for the company.
The person you transfer your company name reservation to must:
- have a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register.
How to transfer a name reservation
To transfer a name reservation log in to your account, enter a company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN), and follow these steps.
- Select Transfer a name reservation and enter your company's name reservation number.
- Select Check name to view the reserved company and confirm the transfer request details in the Confirmation window.
- Select Submit to confirm the contact details shown are correct.
- Choose OK next to Name reservation to view a summary of the details of the transfer.
After the transfer is completed a confirmation email is sent to:
- the person who originally reserved the name,and
- the person or organisation the reservation has been transferred to
The company name reservation task now appears in the My unfinished business tool of the person or organisation to whom the reservation has been transferred.
Transfer name reservation