If you're unable to file your company's annual return by the due date, you can apply for a time extension. If granted, you have an extra 20 working days from the date the extension is granted to file your annual return.
Authority to request a time extension
To request a time extension to file your company's annual return, you must have:
- a RealMe® login
- an online services account with the Companies Register
- authority to act for your company.
Request an extension
To request an extension, log in to your online services account, enter the company name, company number or New Zealand Business Number (NZBN) and follow these steps.
- Select the Apply for an annual return time extension link.
- In the Applicant field, indicate whether you're applying on behalf of someone else or for yourself.
- In the Comments field, write a detailed description of why you need an extension to file your annual return.
- In the Supporting documentation field, select the Browse or Choose file button to upload any supporting documents.
- Select the Submit button to lodge your request for an extension.
- In the Support document preview window select Save to Continue, and Ok to confirm.
If your request for a time extension is approved
If your request is approved, we send an email confirming:
- an extension has been granted, and
- the new date by which your annual return must be filed.